ruby-on-railsheroku

Rails App crashes when deployed to Heroku, but logs claim everything is fine


OK, so I deploying a very basic app to Heroku. I've followed tutorial to the letter. Everything about this deployment was textbook, but when I open the site on Heroku, I get the frustratingly vague message "We're sorry, but something went wrong."

When I do "heroku ps" it says:

    Process  State       Command                               
    -------  ----------  ------------------------------------  
    web.1    up for 13m  bundle exec rails server thin -p $..

When I run "heroku logs" I get the usual deprecation messages and then the text below. But I don't see any red flags in these logs that would cause the app to crash. Am I missing something?

    2012-06-24T12:50:50+00:00 heroku[slugc]: Slug compilation started
    2012-06-24T12:51:25+00:00 heroku[api]: Release v9 created by [email protected]      2012-06-24T12:51:25+00:00 heroku[api]: Deploy ff89ee6 by [email protected]
    2012-06-24T12:51:25+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from up to bouncing
    2012-06-24T12:51:25+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from bouncing to created
    2012-06-24T12:51:25+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from created to starting
    2012-06-24T12:51:25+00:00 heroku[slugc]: Slug compilation finished
    2012-06-24T12:51:27+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Starting process with command `bundle exec rails server thin -p 37816 -e production`
    2012-06-24T12:51:27+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Stopping all processes with SIGTERM
    2012-06-24T12:51:28+00:00 app[web.1]: Exiting
    2012-06-24T12:51:29+00:00 heroku[web.1]: Process exited with status 0
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: => Booting Thin
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: => Rails 3.2.5 application starting in production on http://0.0.0.0:37816
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: => Ctrl-C to shutdown server
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: Connecting to database specified by DATABASE_URL
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: => Call with -d to detach
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: >> Thin web server (v1.3.1 codename Triple Espresso)
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: >> Maximum connections set to 1024
    2012-06-24T12:51:34+00:00 app[web.1]: >> Listening on 0.0.0.0:37816, CTRL+C to stop
    2012-06-24T12:51:35+00:00 heroku[web.1]: State changed from starting to up

Solution

  • The problem was that I wasn't showing enough records. Once I ran heroku logs -n 2000 (or some other large number), it showed me the problem that was right at the start of things